Dropping a pin on Google Maps is an excellent method to save a new location and find it quickly afterward. Fortunately, the procedure is straightforward and user-friendly. This and other features can assist users in remembering new locations that do not have a confirmed address and sharing them with others. For businesses trying to boost their local SEO and rank higher in local searches, Google Maps can be a helpful tool.
In this post, you’ll discover how to drop a pin on Google Maps from a mobile device or a desktop computer. You’ll also better understand Google Maps’ marketing methods and how they might help with local SEO.
What is Google Maps, and how does it work?
Google Maps is a digital mapping tool that Google launched in 2005. Aerial photographs, satellite imagery, and street maps are used in the app to assist users to locate locations and getting instructions. Users can plan their trip on foot, by automobile, or via public transportation. It can also provide real-time traffic information and an estimated trip time.
The app’s popularity has gradually increased, with an average of 1 billion monthly active users in 2021. New features and improvements are continually being added to stay up with the ever-changing digital media ecosystem.
What began as a simple navigation app has evolved into a platform where users can submit reviews, images, and more. Some marketing experts predict that the app will be the next significant content-creation platform.
Using Google Maps to place a pin (mobile)
Whether you’re using an iPhone or an Android, putting a pin on the Google Maps mobile app is nearly identical.
- On your phone or tablet, launch the Google Maps app.
- Locate the area where you wish to place a pin. Zoom in till you can plainly see it.
- Hold your finger on the screen until a pin icon appears.
- At the bottom of the screen, a box displaying the address or coordinates will appear.
- You can now share, save, or label this location by tapping on it.
Using Google Maps to place a pin (desktop)
On the smartphone app, Google Maps might be a little more user-friendly. However, the method of dropping a pin is relatively similar when using a desktop or laptop computer.
- Go to the Google Maps main page.
- In the search bar, type an address. You can also zoom/pan around until you find the right position to place the pin.
- This is where you should click.
- At your current position, a small grey pin icon will emerge.
- At the bottom of your screen, an information box will appear.
- When you click on this new information box, a new panel will display on the left side of your screen. This provides you with more information and possibilities.
Pin it on Google Maps
Getting the most out of your pinned places
You can use a location you’ve pinned on Google Maps in various ways now that you’ve pinned it.
How to Get Directions
When you pin a location, you can use it as a starting point or endpoint to get instructions between two places. Dropped pins are necessary when you are unsure about the address of the location you are trying to reach.
Keeping a Pin
When you place a pin on Google Maps, you can choose to keep it and return it later. This will store the location of your pin on a list. The program already has three default lists (Favorites, Want to Go, and Starred Places). More can be added by heading to the “Saved” area and creating your own.
Creating a Label
You can add a label with your unique name or phrase to help you remember the location after dropping a pin. This label is shared throughout your Google account and displays on every Google Maps version you use.
Sharing the location of your pin
To share your link with someone else, simply hit the “Share” symbol in the mobile edition of Google Maps. You can share the location on Facebook or Twitter by clicking on the icons in the menu on the desktop version. You can also grab the link and share it or copy the HTML code and paste it into a website.
Getting rid of strewn-about pins
On Android or iOS, tap the “x” in the text box at the top of the page to delete a dropped pin. On a PC, you can either click anywhere else on the map or the “x” in the information box at the bottom of the screen to accomplish this.
On Google Maps, how to store and label a dropped pin
Perhaps the main reason you’re pinning anything on Google Maps is to save it for later. If that’s the case, the actions listed below will assist you. For better access, you can organize your pinned destinations into personalized lists. Here’s how to do it:
- Follow the above instructions to place a pin on your maps.
- To save the pinned location, tap the Save button, choose any list on the page, or create a new one.
- You can add a label to the pin in addition to storing it. Google may use your tags to provide you with tailored recommendations across its services.
- Tap Add a label on the same page.
- Please give the label your preferred name and save it.
- The same procedure can be used to change or remove the label.
On Google Maps, how to locate and retrieve fallen pins
You’re probably also curious about how to locate a lost pin on Google Maps or how to delete old ones. If so, go to the steps below.
On a mobile device:
- Start the Maps
- Below the screen, select the Saved tab.
- You’ll view all of your lists with the dropped pins from there. Remove the one you don’t want to see by clicking on it.
- You may also view or remove your tagged locations/pins by clicking the Labeled tap.
When using a computer, type:
- Open your browser and go to the Google Maps website.
- In the sidebar, click the Menu button.
- Choose “Your Locations.”
- You can view, modify, or delete your saved and labeled pins from there.
How to share a Google Maps dropped pin.
You can share the location pin with others using your computer or mobile phone differently. You can copy or share the URL with your social media accounts or applications directly.
- Here’s how to use Google Maps to drop a pin and share it.
- To remove the pin from your device, follow the instructions outlined above.
- Select the Share option.
- Please select your chosen method for sending the link to your desired location.
- The receiver might go to the location once it is sent.
How to put a pin in the ground for your company’s location
If you have a new business or have recently moved to a new area that isn’t currently on Google Maps, you can pin the location to make it easier for others to find you.
Unfortunately, you’ll have to do this on a computer because the option isn’t available on the mobile app. Ready? To add your business to Google Maps, follow these steps.
- On your computer, go to the Google Maps website.
- Place a pin on your business’s location to explore more possibilities and click on the map coordinates below the screen.
- Select Add your business from the drop-down menu.
- It brings up the Google My Business page. To begin, you must first enter some information about your company.
- Please submit the form once you’ve finished it. According to Google, it could take up to 48 hours for your company location to get online.
That’s all there is to know about using Google Maps to drop pins. My location can now be pinned for easier access using the Maps app and website. We hope it also works well for you.